Monday, July 11

Not So ODD Interviews



Today, everyone is a critic when it comes to music. And there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is that people do not respect one another's personal choice oropinion. Ever heard of the 1st Amendment? If I choose to talk about ass, don't you think I should? You should respect that.
Most of you know about OFWGKTA, or Odd Future for short. They have underwent alot of criticism for their believes, actions, and lyrics. I support them. No, I'm not a devil worshiper, I believe they aren't either. Do you honestly believe every thing you hear in music? I sure don't.
The reason I support them is because they're doing what they like to do, and living out their goals. How can you not feel that?
That's just my two cents though. Thanks Uncle Sam.

Below there are some interviews getting to know Tyler, the Creator & Mellowhype's Hodgy Beats. Be sure to check them out after the jump.

Here's a few parts from interviews with the two artists.

 RESPECT. interview with Tyler, the Creator: 


How’d you come up with the Odd Future concept?
It was supposed to be a magazine, at first, in my sophomore year. But what 15-year-old do you know—from a single parent—who’s gonna make enough funds with no job to really do a magazine? But it was supposed to be a magazine that sponsored artists. It was me, Left Brain and Hodgy. I like keeping shit in-house. I wanted my friends to be the ones taking the pictures of the people I’d interview, which were my friends who were skateboarders. I’d make advertisements to go in there instead of getting ads from some clothing line.

What were some of the MCs and artists who influenced you the most?
The Black Eyed Peas’ first album, Eminem, Dr. Dre’s 2001 record. I thought I was Usher at one point—not gon’ front. My Way was a tight album. The video with Tyrese? The fuckin’ “My Way” video where they dancing and shit? I could do that whole muthafuckin’ dance. I liked music, it wasn’t just rap music in general. I didn’t know how to play piano ’til [I was] about 13, after I seen Pharrell play during the Clones DVD. I’m a big Neptunes fan, like, die-hard. Name a date—I know when it came out, how many tracks, how long they are. But when I seen him play that piano, I was like, That is the coolest shit ever. I was like, I need to learn how to fuckin’ play piano. My mom never wanted to give me lessons, so I taught myself to play.

You guys are adamant about how the prominent hip-hop blogs weren’t embracing you. Without their support, how were you guys able to build an audience?
It was word of mouth. But [the blogs] were just not fuckin’ with us. There’s this site called Hypebeast; I’d post on the forums there, and they always showed us a lot of love. I kinda feel like without them, we wouldn’t even be where we’re at now. They were the only ones who took the time out to listen. No one else would fuck with us. They still won’t. I got over it, because out of everyone they post, I’m the most successful of all those little muthafuckas they fucked with. It just made me work harder, made me wanna prove them wrong and show them they’re elitists.
More of the interview here.



Interview with Hodgy Beats by David Huynh
Mellowhype (Left Brain & Hodgy Beats)

Odd Future records have been hitting the mark amongst fans all around the world, can you tell us what the creation process is when piecing together a record?Sometimes the inspiration is just the beat, you know what I’m saying? The beats that Left Brain makes man, I just listen to them – without any lyrics. I believe any regular person, if they like-like music, they’ll just listen to his beats and it’ll speak for itself. Like my voice over them is basically just a co-sign, like “yeah these shits is hot.” But it can really be anything, I can hear like a fucking lawnmower and the lawnmower would hit a rock. It's just anything.

If you were to pick two things in this world to represent you as an artist, what would the items be and why? A gun, not because I kill people, but that’s like my role in Odd Future. Lyrically, I’m getting stronger, and I use my music as a weapon. So a gun and a cup of orange juice. Why? Because I have a cup of orange juice in my hand.





If you were to choose to work with someone in music outside the Odd Future camp, who would it be?
Tupac n*gga! I swear to God! Cause man, Tupac was the realest n*gga, I don’t give a fuck like, that was a real n*gga. You can hear and you can feel what he was feeling when he was reciting what he wrote. For one person to be able to do what he has done, I find that shit amazing. Just to have a voice, and be hated, and not give a fuck about any of that. He died for what he believed in.
Complete interview here.

Let Golf Wang cook...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home